Monday, February 16, 2015

Break the rules...

I decided to use the coloring book as my experiment to break the rules. I colored the inverse of the page instead of all the elements of the picture. I showed my four year old nephew and asked him what he thought about it. He immediately noticed that I had colored "outside" the lines and told me I did it wrong! So I asked him to show me how I was supposed to color and he did. Although he is only 4, he colored ever so carefully inside the lines of each element in the page. 

This made me realize that from early childhood we are taught certain standard "limitations" on creativity. He was so careful to not cross the line boundaries of the elements on the page. And once he was done, he told me that was how I was supposed to do it! I never thought about how often society imposes limitations on our creativity and imagination. This class is definitely an eye opener on shattering the glass ceiling of creativity.




No comments:

Post a Comment