Monday, February 2, 2015

Takeaway - 2/2/15

Well today I was on my way to class and I received a call from my son. He tells me he forgot his key and he's locked out of the house. So of course I have to immediately turn around and head home so that my kid does not wait long to get in the house and freeze in this weather. As I'm driving I'm becoming furious. He's fifteen... At this point in his life I expect him to be responsible enough to keep up with - at a bare minimum - his house key. Nonetheless I have to travel all the way back home, to simply let him in the house. Because of his "mistake" I know I'm going to miss class. But he is my responsibility - so home I go.

24 hours later - I've had time to "cool off" now. As I reflect on how I felt yesterday I realize that my frustration was because things like this always seem to happen to me when I'm getting close to completion of something major in my life. Unnecessary distractions due to others around me - mainly my kids. It has taken me years to get this far in my degree because I've had to stop and start so many times because I'm a "mom". While I was married I received no help or support from my husband at the time- which resulted in me taking a few years off in order to care for my kids and still maintain my career. Years later, my kids are older, I'm divorced, and I'm so close to finishing my degree. The thought of having to stop again is frightening. I just want to get done and I need my kids to be mature enough to handle their few responsibilities. But through all of this, I realize no matter what - I'm a mom first, student second. While I hope to get done this year, I am now and forever more willing to sacrifice for my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment